Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary, How Does Your...

...Garden Grow? Hopefully, well!

Dan decided that we should try to grow our own vegetables this summer. Hmmm....

We've tried to grow things in the past.
Watermelon - got one small one (about the size of a big grapefruit.)
Pumpkins - ditto.
Sunflowers - after we cut the heads off to dry the seeds, the heads molded up. ick.
Zucchini and Summer Squash - vines, no veggies.
Cabbage - had two spectacular ones growing and then they were eaten by some sort of little black bugs. Voila, cabbage lace.

I think you can see why I'm a little gun shy about this, but we'll see how it goes.

Dan and his friend Phil tilled the garden, added horse poo (it pays to live in the Bluegrass, where you can get horse poo for free!), tilled it again, made the rows and planted.
There's carrots, green beans, zucchini, cucumbers and tomatoes. We're growing everything from seed except the tomatoes.

Here are some photos of our new Victory Garden:

Pretty veg all in a row!















Tomatoes













Keep your fingers crossed for us!

1 comment:

  1. I send you lots of "growing" vibes. Although, I've tried to give myself these same vibes and haven't had any luck. Our "flower" bed is more like a bed or mulch with a few things sticking out of the ground that used to be plants. I'd love to do a veggie garden with the kids, but until I can sustain a boxwood for more than a month, I need to stick with the very basics.

    I hope you get to enjoy lots of yummy, *home grown* fruits and veggies!

    --Andrea

    ReplyDelete