Saturday, May 3, 2008

"Slide Down My Rain Barrel...."


I already told this story on my scrapping website, but I wanted to share with the rest of the Web! :D

Dan purchased a plastic rain barrel at a Rain Barrel festival (of all things). The idea was, the new Victory Garden will need lots and lots of water, so why not use free rainwater? Sounds good to me!

The rain barrel was boring old white. Having seen some really cool ones that were decorated for auction, I though, "I'd love to paint that!" However, the barrel was plastic, and the only paint that really sticks to plastic is that Krylon Fusion. Fusion is spray paint. I'm not a graffiti artist -- I need real paint and brushes!

I did more research and realized that I could possibly prime the barrel and then paint a design with acrylics, followed by coat after coat after coat of sealant. Dan didn't want to wait days and days for me to paint it artistically and then for multiple layers of sealant to dry, (and honestly, neither did I!) so I bit the bullet and went with straight spraypainting using the Fusion.

I originally wanted to paint it to look like the famous stone walls that exist all over the Bluegrass. Worked on that for about an hour with really bad results. Chucked that idea right out, and I switched to Plan B: make it look like a BARREL!

So I sprayed and I spritzed and I taped off sections and I peeled the tape and I sprayed and I added highlights and I added lowlights and and and and.... Done!

"Wow!" thinks I. "That looks great!"
"Feh," says Dan. "I didn't expect you to paint it to look like a barrel!"

ARRRRGH!

"What DID you expect it to look like?" hollers the now annoyed artiste.
"I don't know, but I know it wasn't THAT!" shoots back the now annoyed art critic.

Men. Can't live with 'em, can't kill 'em.


Anywho, I like it. So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment